The Growl

Filed under News, Showcase

Off-season prepares athletes for in-season

As many sports’ seasons coming to an end, off-season is the topic between many athletes.

Sports are working towards strengthening and conditioning in their post/pre-season, moving in and out of the weight room and the track.

“In basketball, strength is very important,” junior Akashia Key said. “This is why we spend a lot of our time in the weight room. We want to be in out best possible shape before the next season, especially since we are moving up a division. Going 5A means competing against, stronger, more competitive girls.”

The basketball girls aren’t the only ones putting in work this offseason.

“The swim team works on agility and cardio as we prepare for our regular season,” junior Gwen Pettus said. “We want to build up all of our endurance to prepare for when we actually get in the pools during our regular season. To be a swimmer, you ideally want to not only have strength, but also the ability to withstand the water. We also frequently have study halls in where we catch up on school work.”

Off-season gives athletes a chance to build and strengthen any areas they were lacking during the season. All the teams here at Glenn are working diligently to make sure they are prepared for their upcoming season.

“Because of off-season, I feel more sure of what’s to come,” Key said. “We’ll be ready for the season and better than we ever were before.”

About the Writer
Briana Ramsey, Staff Reporter

Briana Ramsey is a passionate individual who is involved in many extracurricular activities. She is one of the founders for The Great Grizzlies and is the president of the school’s debate team. She’s a great multitasker, balancing school activities, work, helping out with her siblings and still manages to have time for herself. Briana enjoys spending time with her friends and family but also loves to kick back and binge watch her favorite shows on netflix. She was originally going to be in journalism but got the awesome chance to be part of the newspaper staff.