Making the Grade

With an overwhelming amount of Glenn students in LEO, we are forced to ask ourselves why this is happening. Because Glenn is a new school, faculty and staff are focused on sorting out issues and making everything work, they don’t spend enough time setting up strict rules and disciplining students when they break said rules. Students have been bending the rules and seeing how far they can go without getting in trouble. Instead of getting involved in illegal activities, students should make better decisions and help define the culture at Glenn.

Grade: F-

Our policy is that teachers are to put at least one grade in every week. However, many teachers are not following this rule, meaning grades are being put in at the last minute. This is causing ineligibility for students in extracurricular activities such as UIL as well as students not having the time to redo assignments to show they have mastered the curriculum. If teachers held themselves accountable for putting grades in for students, the student’s grades would improve, fewer students would fail classes, and more students would be on the A/B Honor Roll, in turn improving Glenn’s reputation in the district.

Grade: M (for Missing)

Through all the challenges of opening a new high school, one of the things the staff has gotten right is the support of our coaches. To create sports teams that will go far, we have to have our coaches by our sides, there to give constructive criticism and encourage us to be our best. The coaches here at Glenn are doing just that. They spend hours at school helping students train to be their bests, they hold practice everyday to prepare for games and they go dutifully to out of school events. Good job, coaches! Keep it up and we will have some of the best athletes in the district.

Grade: A+

Every six weeks, each class meets in the auditorium to discuss how the grading period went. The idea of meeting as a class is effective, however the assembly itself is not. The teachers mostly talk about Glenn’s expectations and the A/B honor roll rates, however they don’t give us advice on how to live up to these expectations, aside from the mention of going to CAVE on Fridays. Instead of the teachers talking at us, they should look to students for their opinions on how the six weeks went and how to fix it. The school is for the students, after all. If we work collaboratively as staff and students, then we can find a way to make Glenn even better.

Grade: B-