GHS starts first debate team with 10 students

Debaters include sophomores Caleb Hatch and Malissa Marin travel to watch a debate tournament.
Jacquetta Thayer

AP Human Geography teacher Jacquetta Thayer and 10 students started the first GHS debate team.

“We haven’t done any official events so far but we traveled to one where Mrs. Thayer was a judge and a few of us came to watch,” freshman Shelby Sargent said.

Debate can enhance communication and critical thinking skills for argumentation. The first competition will be on Saturday, Jan. 21 at Burnet High School with at least one tournament a month before the District Tournament on Saturday, March 25 at Liberty Hill High School.

“Debating isn’t just arguing, it’s about being argued with,” Thayer said. “If you can stand that, you’d make a great debater.”

Meetings are held every Tuesday from 3:50 – 4:50. For most of the students, this is their first time doing debate.

“I think the debate team has been doing well, I mean they’re not too many of us,” sophomore Hayden Aldridge said. “Many of us actually seem interested in making the team better than it already is.”

All GHS students are eligible to join and become members of the team. Active members are those who attend at least; one out of every three meetings.

It’s been incredibly rewarding to see our team learn and grow through this process,” Thayer said. “My hope is that Glenn will host a tournament in the next year or two to really show the community that what we do is more than just arguing.”