Student Spotlight: Freshman Kelsey Childers enters public school for first time

Lily Villareal

Freshman Kelsey Childers started public school for the first time this year after being homeschooled by her mother.

Freshman Kelsey Childers, was homeschooled her whole life.

Until this year Childers was taught by their mother, who also taught her two older sisters. Eventually both older sisters went back to public school leaving the youngest Childer sister learning at home.

“My mother taught me and my father attempted to teach me something then we both got confused,” Childers said. “I wanted to stay home schooled but my mom said ‘No you’re going to be put in school.’”

A new school year is always scary and exciting especially when you’re starting at a new school, everyone had their own different expectations for teachers and friends. For Childers, her expectations did differ compared to any other students.

“Since it was a brand new school I expected everyone to be confused,” Childers said. “I was supposed to go to rouse with my sister but, I didn’t want to be the only one completely confused so, I came to Glenn.”

But making a transition into a school without knowing anyone isn’t the only problem. Childers realized she had to adjust to her new surroundings and the way the school runs.

“In home school I could get away with more work, like I could turn it in the next day or I could take as much time as I needed,” Childers said. “But with public school I can’t really do that and it’s pretty challenging.”

Making friends was also quite the challenge for Childers, starting out at a new high school and not knowing anyone is more challenging than some might think.

“I made a few friends the very first day then we kind of drifted apart and then I started making new friends and it got easier,” Childers said. “Everyone here has been going to school together since kindergarten and I’m just like I don’t know any of you.