The student news site of Glenn High School

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

Coachella 2024 Strikes a Chord with Stellar Music Lineup

Created by Zahara Julien.

Drawing in crowds from every corner of the globe, Coachella showcased an interesting lineup of musical talent alongside a vibrant array of bright fashion in the midst of the desert. This year marked another chapter in its storied history. 

From Grammy-winning megastars like Tyler the Creator to breakout experimental sensations like Orbital, Coachella’s stages pulsed with energy as performers delivered electrifying sets that spanned genres and captivated audiences. 

Headliners including Doja Cat, Lana Del Rey and No-Doubt stunned fans with show-stopping performances, while rising stars like Ice Spice and Peso Pluma solidified their positions in the music industry. 

Beyond the main stages, Coachella’s lineup was a melting pot of musical styles and influences, with acts representing every corner of the globe. From Latino performances like LATIN MAFIA to Japanese sensations like Hatsune Miku the festival showcased the rich tapestry of sounds that define contemporary music, further showcasing its reputation as a global tastemaker.

Although it was truly diverse, not all performances were received as well as others. Many people online complained about the quality of some performances, and their ability to keep the energy alive. 

For example, there has been a discourse regarding the K-Pop group LE SSERAFIM and their lip syncing, which is frowned upon in Coachella customs, and their vocal ability. The whole performance contrasted the traditions of live music regarding the festival. People also criticized the Brit-pop group Blur and the lack of energy from the crowd to sing along to their set.

Beyond criticism of the performances themselves, the festival has received backlash in year’s past in regards to accessibility and sustainability. Long traffic lines as well as a lack of accessibility for disabled patrons have been points of criticism for critics in years past. Attendees found fault with the Bathrooms, stating that there weren’t enough, and some had to take extreme measures like leaving their waste in places it shouldn’t be. As well as the bathrooms noting being cleaned and drained as often as they should have.

Amidst the criticism, there were also many iconic moments this year such as Tyler the Creator bringing out A$AP Rocky and Childish Gambino onto his set, Kid Cudi breaking his foot after falling off stage, Lil Uzi Vert voguing, Will Smith showing up as the Men In Black with J Balvin and surprise celebrity appearances like Rihanna and Taylor Swift.

As Coachella 2024 drew to a close, it left a lasting impression on its attendees, cementing its status as a cultural phenomenon that transcends normal concert entertainment. As the festival looks towards the future, it faces both challenges and opportunities to evolve, shaping the conversation around music, art and cultural expression.