The student news site of Glenn High School

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

Pink Friday 2 Album Review

Nicki Minaj releases her fith studio album
Nicki Minaj released her fith studio album, “Pink Friday 2,” on Dec. 8, 2023. Upon its release, Pink Friday debuted at number one on the U.S. Billboard charts.

Nicki Minaj is a Trinidadian-American rapper, singer, songwriter, actress and businesswoman.  Minaj rose to prominence in the music industry with her distinctive style, animated delivery and versatility as both a rapper and a pop singer. Her breakthrough came with the release of her debut studio album, “Pink Friday,” in 2010. The album featured hit singles like “Super Bass” and “Starships,” naming Minaj as a mainstream force. “Pink Friday” received critical acclaim and commercial success, earning her multiple Grammy Award nominations.

‘Pink Friday 2’ by Minaj debuted Dec 8. 2024. It delivers a blend of fierce lyricism and an infectious energy. The album presents Minaj’s versatility, seamlessly transitioning between rap and melodic hooks. From empowering songs to the introspective tracks, solidifying Minaj’s position as a powerhouse in the hip-hop/pop scene. Listeners can stream it via Apple Music and Spotify. 

Minaj continues to captivate listeners with her razor-sharp bars and unapologetic attitude. Her wordplay is as jagged as ever, with clever punchlines and intricate rhyme schemes that keep listeners engaged from start to finish. Whether she’s flexing her lyrical genius on tracks like “Everybody (ft. Lil Uzi Vert)” or delivering emotional anthems like “Last time I saw You,” Minaj’s flow remains unmatched.

Production-wise, “Pink Friday 2” is a masterclass in sonic diversity. The album features an impressive roster of producers and artists who craft dynamic sounds that complement Minaj’s versatile flow. Artists such as Drake, Lil Wayne, Lil Uzi Vert, J. Cole, Future and more appear on the latest album. Booming basslines to lush melodies, each track is meticulously crafted to create a different listening experience. No song on the album has the same cadence, nor beat. 

Minaj‘s “Pink Friday 2” was the No. 1 album in the United States for a month, before dropping to 8th, having the biggest debut sales week for a rap album by a woman in the last four years. The record joins the original “Pink Friday,” Minaj’s 2010 debut album, as her third overall record to hit the peak of the list alongside 2012’s “Roman Reloaded.” With this, Minaj now claims the most chart-topping albums to date for a female rapper. 

The problem with the album relies on the publicity. Minaj’s popularity online for the original “Pink Friday” compared to her new release is significantly low. Althoughher album briefly topped the charts, her album has not been receiving enough online love due to recent drama revolving around her and rapper Megan Thee Stallion. Following her album drop, she released a diss track titled “BigFoot” and received plenty of hate on Tik Tok, Twitter and Instagram. 

The album covers a broad range of themes, however, this variety might be seen as a lack of thematic cohesion, making the overall narrative less cohesive compared to other concept-driven albums. Her album, “Queen’ had a very particular story to go with her discography, whereas ‘Pink Friday 2’ does not. Some critics, like myself, argue that “Pink Friday 2” doesn’t bring a significant evolution to Minaj’s sound. While the album is well-executed, it may be perceived as playing it safe, lacking the experimental edge and teeny-bopper charm that Minaj brought to her past projects. Overall, while “Pink Friday 2” has its strengths, these drawbacks may impact the album’s overall appeal for certain listeners, and to the public at large. I rate this album three out of five stars.