The student news site of Glenn High School

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

Review: Mortal Kombat 1

A Nostalgic Komeback
Zahara Julien
The Mortal Kombat character screen. “The depth of the story mode, coupled with stunning cinematic sequences, and character endings, ensures that players are not just engaged in battles but also invested in the unfolding drama that takes place in the Mortal Kombat universe.”

As a new world of hyper-realistic graphics and contemporary gameplay dominate the gaming community, there is a certain charm about revisiting the classics. On Sept. 14 the release of Mortal Kombat 1 on PlayStation 5 has not only given gamers the chance to relive the glory days of being in an arcade, but has also introduced a new generation to one of the most influential fighting games in history

Thanks to the PS5’s processing capabilities, the game offers dynamic and adaptive gameplay, guaranteeing every fight feels distinctive. Be it through interactions that alter battle outcomes or characters adjusting their strategies based on the player’s style, Mortal Kombat 1 showcases the evolving potential of gaming technology. Returning iconic characters such as Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang, Princess Kitana, and Mileena make way in this timeline. Guest characters from other franchises such as Omni-Man, Homelander, and Peacemaker appear as DLC characters, or soon-to-be-unlocked.

Modes such as, Story, Towers and Invasions make the game vastly different to the others. Mortal Kombat 1 introduced seasonal and limited-time towers, providing time sensitive challenges with exclusive rewards, as well as themed-based stories to fight against in Invasions.

While Mortal Kombat has always been known for its virtuous and extensive tale, Mortal Kombat 1 takes the storytelling to new heights. The narrative unfolds seamlessly, with character arcs intertwining in newly unexpected ways. A whole new start to previous lore unfolds, and the characters are to make their own destiny. Although when playing online there are bugs in some characters, which make them possibly too overpowered, the system quickly fixes it, optimizing the experience for their players.

Although modern games showcase intricate gameplay mechanics, the strength of Mortal Kombat 1 lies in its simplicity. The once pixelated characters and backgrounds that appear outdated, now reborn with deeper stories and personalities. When playing Mortal Kombat 1 it feels like taking a journey in time, offering a glimpse into the humble origins of a franchise that has become synonymous within the fighting game genre.

The depth of the story mode, coupled with stunning cinematic sequences, and character endings, ensures that players are not just engaged in battles but also invested in the unfolding drama that takes place in the Mortal Kombat universe.

The depth of the story mode, coupled with stunning cinematic sequences, and character endings, ensures that players are not just engaged in battles but also invested in the unfolding drama that takes place in the Mortal Kombat universe. In the final chapter of story mode, players select their favorite fighter and battle through a series of challenging opponents, each culminating in a fierce boss fight against the infamous Shang Tsung.