The student news site of Glenn High School

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

Five Nights at Freddy’s Review

A highly anticipated live-action of the popular video game
The main antagonistic group is composed of four animatronics. A malevolent teddy bear named Freddy, a giant yellow chicken named Chica, a withered pirate fox named Foxy and a hostile purple rabbit named Bonnie. These four roam the pizzeria in the original FNAF game and kill any human in their sight, but prove to have a different demeanor in the movie. Created by Karina Regino-Gerardo

‘Five Nights at Freddy’s’ is a movie based off of a horror fiction game that was originally created by Scott Cawthon and released on August 8, 2014. The game features a night guard who must use security cameras, metal doors and flashlights to defend himself from the possessed animatronics that lurk around the family-owned pizzeria. 

Directed by Emma Tammi, “Five Nights at Freddy’s” is focused on the trauma that follows Mike, played by Josh Hutcherson, who is having trouble trying to maintain his job, putting him in further jeopardy of keeping custody of his younger sister, Abby (Piper Rubio). This leads him to accept a mysterious job as a nighttime security guard at the old rundown Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza, a “Chuck E. Cheese” dupe.

Tammi has directed a couple movies such as “The Wind,” “Fair Chase” and “Delivered.” The movie length is one hour and 50 minutes with a PG-13 rating. 

Prior to viewing the movie, I imagined it would focus on the aspects of the gameplay a bit more, such as the paranoia of checking the cameras and the gruesome storyline. Although it may have not exceeded my expectations, the movie established its own universe by incorporating their own characters and storyline.

While there were a few jumpscares, I understand why they chose to leave out the extreme aspects of the game while creating the movie due to its younger audience members in order to be more appealing across all ages. Nonetheless, the movie still included mind-boggling scenes with suspense to enjoy.  

Overall, I would recommend this movie to the people who grew up playing “Five Nights at Freddy’s” and would give it 4/5 stars.