The Growl

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

“Bohemian Rhapsody” is a show stopper

I admit that I’m not a diehard Queen fan. I didn’t know the names of all the band members and I didn’t know that Freddie Mercury was gay and died of AIDS. But I love their songs and have memorized most of them so I felt justified seeing “Bohemian Rhapsody.”

The movie focuses on the buck-toothed Freddie Mercury (Rami Malek) and how the band formed to getting their record label and ends at their Live AID performance. You begin to understand who they came up with their songs and the recording process.  But you also see the fights and the differences between Mercury and the band. Mercury discovers his sexuality and then becomes engrossed by parties, fashion and other gay men. The band eventually breaks up but reunites to perform in Live AID.

The casting was spot on. After the movie I looked into the band members, and the actors could have been twins. The stylists also mastered the 1980’s fashion and captured each band member’s style to a T. The story was laid out perfectly and every scene flowed smoothly so you never questioned what just happened.

But, the other band members weren’t featured enough in the movie. Just because they aren’t the lead singer doesn’t mean they don’t matter or that they’re not interesting. And Queen’s most popular songs weren’t played all the way through. There were snippets as they performed in concert, or as they were pitching them to the record label, but the song “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the title of the movie, was never finished.

I would definitely watch this movie again. 9/10

About the Writer
Hannah Stedman, Editor-in-chief

Senior, Hannah Stedman found her love for newspaper Sophomore year. She has had multiple achievements like going to Regionals and lettering in UIL academics....