Future cheerleaders learn tips and tricks

The cheer team hosted a cheer clinic on Feb. 10 and was open to children through kindergarten and eighth grade.

The clinic is an event in which the Glenn Cheer team hosts a “little Cheer day” where elementary and middle school students can experience what cheer is like. This will give future cheerleaders a look into what the life of a cheerleader is.

“It was a Saturday in which children in kindergarten through fifth grade could learn a few cheers we do,” junior Katryna Patterson said. “The kids in sixth through eighth grade was a cheer tryout preparation.

The cheer team worked with the children and showed them how special a cheer team can be.

“I love the atmosphere of our team,” sophomore Allie Krouse said. “It’s not just a sport, it’s about being a family where we are all united and one.”

Cheer’s goal is not only to build up school spirit, but to portray the strong bonds a cheer team can form.

“If I could describe the team in one word I would use Glenn,” sophomore Kiaya Stokes said. “We do so much for the school and I love to portray our school in such a positive way and truly be a leader.”

The team builds each other up and knows that they can open up to each other.

“I love the friendships that you build,” Patterson said. “We are a sisterhood so we fight, but the bond that you end up building with whatever team your on, those friendships last a lifetime.”

As the day winds down, each cheer member knows that they are surrounded by people they love and care for.

“Cheer means that I am a leader,” sophomore Maddison Hill said. “People look up to me so it sets an example of how people view me.”