Staff Stance: Vandalism disruptive, disrespectful

Before Thanksgiving break, a student vandalised bathrooms in the orange and red wings. This student drew on bathroom stalls and put oatmeal in the toilets, then posted pictures on social media. In light of these events, we as students must consider all the negative effects vandalism can have on the learning environment. Vandalism is extremely disrespectful and unnecessary.

Our campus was designed to be similar to a college campus. Students and staff have invested in advanced technology that most schools, even within the district, do not have access to. Not only is vandalism extremely disrespectful, but it’s also unappreciative. Our students are lucky to have such a unique, advanced school in which every aspect affects our learning in a positive way.

Our campus cost a total of 97.5 million dollars to build. That is not including any funds that we put into renovations, fixing destroyed property, and any money put into academics, sports and fine arts. In short, our school costs a lot of money. This act of vandalism has wasted money that volunteers have generously donated, as well as tax dollars put into building and maintaining the school.

Some may say that vandalism does not disrupt the learning environment and that it’s not a big deal. However, that is not the only issue with it. Teachers have begun to change policies in their classrooms in able to prevent more cases of vandalism, which in turn affects students and their ability to learn. Vandalism is also a major safety issue. Even though no students were harmed in this situation, it is always a possibility. Those who have to clean up the mess that was made could potentially get hurt as well.

Vandalism has and will continue to jeopardize our students education and success unless we stop it. We cannot disrespect our campus and must begin appreciating everything it has done and will do for our education. To keep our staff and students safe and in class learning, we should not vandalize our campus.