Staff Stance: Fights disrupt student learning

Fighting— it’s in the movies, high school drama-based TV shows, video games and all over social media. No matter where you look, fighting and violence are prominent occurrences seen disturbingly often. Although student vs. student brawls can make for an exciting Snapchat story, students need to understand that hostility never makes for an effective solution, no matter who or what initiated it.

As one of the first classes to be graduating from our school, it is important for us to keep up a positive notoriety. Everyone knows which school in the district is known as the “fight school,” and we definitely should not be given that reputation. Students need to work hard in order to solve their problems outside of class, and should do everything in their power to keep simple disagreements from becoming physical fights.

Very recently, a scuffle between two girls took place during lunch, which distracted the entire union and caused a major disruption. Students were yelling, taking videos and running across the cafeteria just to get in on the commotion. Not only was this a clear safety hazard, but if something like this had occurred during class, it would have taken away from each student’s learning environment. While in school, a student’s top priority is to learn. With such an aberration going on, it is next to impossible for anyone to focus.

Students may argue that hitting, pulling hair and physical brutality may be the only way to solve certain conflicts among each other. However, violence is never the correct way to accomplish anything, and instead results in injury and harsher reinforcements from the APs as punishment for fighting with your fellow peers. Beating someone in a fight is not worth over 45 days in an alternate disciplinary school.

Fighting is never the correct way to solve problems, and any physical conflict that may erupt between classmates should remain outside of school. While our school is still brand new with a developing reputation, we should make an effort to keep that reputation squeaky clean. We need to focus on learning and perfecting our education rather than student-on-student hostility.