Staff Stance: Fine Arts need representation

Our school is a very large and diverse school. There are many clubs and extracurriculars in the fine arts department, but not all students may know what they are. Students in the fine arts program should have equal representation as the students in the athletic departments.

Arts vs. sports has been a long fought over topic. In reality, it’s not supposed to be a competition. Kids in the fine arts programs feel that it is unfair that they don’t have equal representation. The students work equally as hard and both make a lot of money for their programs.

There are many ways athletic kids can advertise their information around the school. Meanwhile, the fine arts department has been looking to be more creative with how to get their information out to the rest of the school.

“Little Shop of Horrors” was just announced as the spring musical. Theatre students have been suggesting possibly showing a scene for the school in the auditorium to get students excited for the show. Our school has never done anything like this before for the theatre kids, but the sports teams always have pep rallies. With the new director, Melody Morton, many students are hoping that theatre will finally get the recognition it deserves.

This is hopefully the start of all fine arts having the spotlight this school, and hopefully getting their information out there for all students to see. Soon enough, our school will be a school for anyone who wants to do anything they want.